Letters to the Editor (April 9)

Glenda Fudge, Wichita Falls

Wonder why?

If George Zimmerman, who has a white mother and a Hispanic father, is being called a white Hispanic, why isn’t Obama, who has a white moth­er and a black father, being called a white African-American? Hmm!

Annette Parker, Gradfield Okla.

Incorrect recitation

The Pledge of Allegiance has be­come a mantra of rote recitation. Its meaning meaningless.

The Pledge of Allegiance was written by Francis Bellamy, a con­troversial Baptist minister.

It was given publicity through the official program of the National Pub­lic Schools Celebration of Colum­bus Day and was published in “The Youth’s Companion,” Sept. 8, 1892.

The original words were: “I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the Re­public for which it stands one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.” “My Flag” was replaced by, “the flag of the United States” in 1923 because foreigners might have interpreted it as a reference to the flag of their homeland. In 1924, “of America” was added after “United States.”

Official recognition was given by Congress on June 22, 1942, when the “Pledge” was formally included in the U.S. Flag Code.

The last language change came on Flag Day, 1954, when Congress added the words “under God” after “one nation.” “One nation under God is where the incorrect recitation oc­curs.

Note there is NOT a comma separating one nation under God, but how often do you hear it recited that way or printed incorrectly? That was not the intention of Bellamy, or others responsible for the wording of the pledge. They did NOT want anything separating our nation from God, not even a comma.

According to the official docu­ment, United States Code, the pledge should be rendered by standing at at­tention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart.

Note, there is NO comma be­tween one nation under God. No president has changed the wording and the grammatical structure of the pledge in the past 55 years, and neither should we.

Let’s get back to saying the pledge as it was intended, with pride and un­derstanding; beginning in schools, sporting events and any other occa­sion where the pledge is recited.

Tom Wisdom, Wichita Falls

Awesome performance

I attended the Backdoor Theater’s performance of Mel Brooks’ “The Producers” recently. I left amazed by the flawless performance and bril­liant talent of all involved. This is a theater that deserves your support. I have never seen a troupe work so hard to birth an evening of awesome entertainment.

• Discuss

Comments » 50

StoneDog writes:

The pledge. What a crock. Last time I recited it was in the hallways of Cunningham Elementary. It should read, "This flag isn't big enough to cover the shame and disgrace it has caused."

Texasczech63 writes:

in response to StoneDog:

Did you graduate from Cunningham.....or did they run you off when you turned 18?

Feel free to try any other country of your choice.....I'm sure you can find one that has nothing to be ashamed of.

ABO12

StoneDog writes:

in response to Texasczech63:

ABO12

Opinion. Know what it means? Obviously not.

Citizen (Inactive) writes:

Glenda-why are you and others so focused on race. The fact that you felt the need to pose this question to the TRN speaks volumes.

Stone dog-TC63 suffers from Obama derangement syndrome and is armed. He is entertaining but do not think you will find any logic in his rants.

Trapper writes:

in response to StoneDog:

Opinion. Know what it means? Obviously not.

So, you can have an opinion, but TC63 can not? Must be nice to live in your world, but the rest of us must live in the real world. Having shed my blood for that FLAG and what it stands for, I would have to agree with Texasczech63. There use to be a saying, "My Country, love it or Leave it!" that pretty well says it all.

Texasczech63 writes:

How would you know Nancy....never heard anything logical from you.....just your feelings. LMAO

Dog if you would have quit getting stoned you might have graduated Cunningham and made more sense. OAML...ni dekcik aixelsyd ym gnad.

Trap...I got nicked a time or two....but it was my job to make the other guy shed his blood for his beliefs.

Moliere writes:

Today's dense fog is the result of Republican's attempting to compose coherent thought: all they can come up with has no substance but keeps everyone from being able to see where they are going. This is because they do not know where they are going, but want you to go with them. This is a public service announcement.

Moliere writes:

Ms. Fudge is the wife of 78th District Court Judge Barney Fudge, s'il vous plait? Please reference 9:14 post.

Texasczech63 writes:

in response to Moliere:

Says the lib...while offering up an incoherent comment devoid of any facts or substance as usual.

Sometimes it's just too easy to point this stuff out....they are clueless to the humor they are producing.LMAO

ABO12

bobert writes:

in response to Moliere:

If shooting the messenger because of being unable to challenge the message was a recognized and distinguished quality in commentaries, Moliere would have over 500 awards on this site alone. However, if truly defending his position or answering requests of proof for his wild accusations were equally honored, he would not have a total of 3.

imahic writes:

in response to Moliere:

What does that have to do with anything? She has a right to ask what seems to be a perfectly logical question. I wonder that myself. There are several posters here, such as yourself (both Democrat and Republican), whose main purpose seems to be to deny anyone else from having an opinion. Try thinking outside the propaganda of whatever party affiliation tells you to. It might be refreshing. Occasionally, I see you make a valid point and can even agree with you. Neither party can lay claim to to having all the answers. Probably one of the reasons Congress has an incredibly low approval rating. Neither party has accomplished much in the past two decades that merits bragging about.

Moliere writes:

All across the nation republicans are gathering at street corners, in coffee shops, at the mall, at water coolers, fighting one another for the mike at corner karaoke bar, each to proclaim their unwavering support for Mitch Romney.

No, wait a minute, those are lemmings looking for a cliff.

My bad!

prouddem#211254 writes:

Glenda, are you dark fudge, white fudge, sugar free fudge or just plain NUTTY fudge?

Moliere writes:

in response to bobert:

Mr. Ert; move away from the send key; please step away from the send key.

Are you even capable of an original thought? Get some new material.

prouddem#211254 writes:

The pledge contains the words "liberty and justice for all". For ALL? What a JOKE! That line should be changed to "SOME" depending on your race, religion, sexual orientation and financial status.

bobert writes:

in response to Moliere:

Your comment gives additional insight into your thought process. You obviously thought readers did not know who Ms. Fudge was and additionally felt that she has no right as an individual to be making a very valid observation. Pointing out who she is married to is like advising the world that Michelle Obama is the wife of President Obama. People are considerably more knowledgeable than your high post of observation has led you to believe. Why not just give your views on the question she raised and leave off a comment that you hope will be irritating to her? If you can't do that, then why not just refrain from making such a naive statement?

strlcuckoo22 writes:

in response to StoneDog:

If you are shamed or feel disgraced then I agree that you should find a place to reside wherein you may be proud and unshamed. I know that for 20+ years I defended your right to speak your opinion as I did my own which is this flag would fly with more pride and less shame if you were else where.

strlcuckoo22 writes:

in response to Trapper:

So true Trapper.

carp writes:

in response to StoneDog:

Oh my! Alot of heros have fought and died for that flag you hate so much.

I guess you can move to Iraq. Delta is ready when you are.

strlcuckoo22 writes:

in response to prouddem#211254:

Perhaps you should assist "Stonedog" in the search for a country that falls more within the parameters of your beliefs. You have the "
liberty" to vacate at your will and we will not prosecute you for it.

carp writes:

The commie pinko liberals are sure running scered today.

PoorRichard writes:

OFF TOPIC ALERT!!!

So, we don't need to have voters provide ID, eh? Hmmm...

"...O'Keefe Voter Fraud Investigation: Young Man Offered Holder's Ballot...

White man offered AG Holder's ballot..."

Gee. Maybe AG Holder is right.

But, then again, maybe NOT!!!!

Moliere writes:

Here is a template, since not one of you seems capable: "I would be proud to endorse mitch Romney in his candidacy for President of the United States." or something to that effect.

It may hurt a little the first time, but after a while you can get used to it.

bobert writes:

in response to Moliere:

It may hurt a little the first time, but after a while you can get used to it.

If I feel a need to have a template, I will prepare my own. That way I will have one free of grammatical errors.

Texasczech63 writes:

in response to PoorRichard:

OFF TOPIC ALERT!!!

So, we don't need to have voters provide ID, eh? Hmmm...

"...O'Keefe Voter Fraud Investigation: Young Man Offered Holder's Ballot...

White man offered AG Holder's ballot..."

Gee. Maybe AG Holder is right.

But, then again, maybe NOT!!!!

His "I will be back faster than you can say furious" is an instant classic. LMAO

ABO12....because Obamacare is about to be aborted.....thats one I can support.

Moliere writes:

in response to bobert:

like your bro, carp!

Texasczech63 writes:

Perhaps we should all ease up on ole makes-me-want-to-iron-sumptin....he has obviously cooked his cerebral cortex on his last trip to the astral plane of the spirit world....his atmospheric re-entry trajectory must have been way too steep and he overheated his noodle......Next time he should use non-liberal mathematics to calculate ballistic entry.

ABO12

Moliere writes:

Will not one of you step up and proclaim, "I would be proud to endorse Mitch Romney as the republican candidate for POTUS!"

ABAnyone currently holding any office12

Texasczech63 writes:

in response to Moliere:

ABAnyone currently holding any office12

I proclaim to vote for anyone other than Obama in 2012. What do you think ABO12 means makes-me-want-to-iron-sumptin ?

see >>>>ABO12<<<<....this is my proclamation.

Moliere writes:

Post WW2 Department of Labor statistics on job growth, by presidency:

Harry S. Truman (Democrat): increase of 2.95 percent a year
Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican): increase of 0.50 percent a year
John F. Kennedy (Democrat): increase of 2.03 percent a year
Lyndon B. Johnson (Democrat): increase of 3.88 percent a year
Richard M. Nixon (Republican): increase of 2.16 percent a year
Gerald R. Ford (Republican): increase of 0.86 percent a year
Jimmy Carter (Democrat): increase of 3.45 percent a year
Ronald Reagan (Republican): increase of 2.46 percent a year
George H.W. Bush (Republican): increase of 0.40 percent a year
Bill Clinton (Democrat): increase of 2.86 percent a year
George W. Bush (Republican): increase of 0.01 percent a year
Barack Obama (Democrat): decrease of 3.0 percent a year

Nothin' here for anybody to brag about, especially the last guy. But taken as a whole destroys the myth that the repubs are job makers.

Why are ya'll so ashamed of Dubya?

This is for Mr. Bob Ert, who lusts for facts on an opinion page.

Texasczech63 writes:

Jimmy Carter (Democrat): increase of 3.45 percent a year
Ronald Reagan (Republican): increase of 2.46 percent a year
George H.W. Bush (Republican): increase of 0.40 percent a year
Bill Clinton (Democrat): increase of 2.86 percent a year
George W. Bush (Republican): increase of 0.01 percent a year
Barack Obama (Democrat): decrease of 3.0 percent a year

Why are ya'll so ashamed of Dubya?

This is for Mr. Bob Ert, who lusts for facts on an opinion page.

Proves my claims that the messiah cooks the numbers....thanks for the info.

How many have dropped out of the labor force makes-me-want-to-iron-sumptin?

You really make shooting you down way too easy.

ABO12

riceboal writes:

As some of us older folk like to say " back in the day " a person of native American & European ancestry would be referred to as a " Breed " or " half Breed " . Today there is pride rather than stigma attached to native American heritage . Perhaps as we become more civilized , we will drop references to mixed races & call skin colors like we see them , or not at all .

Annette Parker , drat !! It took me years to learn the Pledge , & now I have to go back & re remember it without the comma .

Mr Wisdom , thanks , we will check it out .

yellowrose writes:

Mrs. Fudge, I believe that in the U.S. anyone with even a tiny drop of black blood in them is labelled as black or Negro. The person can have blonde hair, blue eyes, etc but if it is known that the person has one drop of black blood, they are labelled a Negro. Now, when I took Sociology in college, we were taught that there are 3 races; Caucasoid, Negroid, and Mongoloid. The Mongoloids were the Indians, Hispanics, etc with black or brown straight hair and brown eyes. Now, I believe we are being taught that there are more races. I think many people label Hispanics as white but IMHO, they are NOT. They are Mongoloids. Most have brown hair and brown eyes. Obama is half white but most consider him Negro. Zimmerman is half white but has been labelled both Hispanic and white.

Moliere writes:

in response to Texasczech63:

Proves my claims that the messiah cooks the numbers....thanks for the info.

How many have dropped out of the labor force makes-me-want-to-iron-sumptin?

You really make shooting you down way too easy.

ABO12

Might wanna look down, if you can see past your gut. You've blown both feet off so many times on this post, you gotta be drawin' disability. You probably did to get the preferred parking! Now that is the true repube' logic.Can only imagine what you've done in the "real" world.

ABPinocchio; he literally doesn't have a foot to stand on!

Texasczech63 writes:

in response to riceboal:

Mr Wisdom , thanks , we will check it out .

ABO12

Texasczech63 writes:

in response to Moliere:

ABPinocchio; he literally doesn't have a foot to stand on!

Really rambling on this one Molly......still highly entertaining though.LMAO

ABO12

riceboal writes:

Texasczech63 sez : I have a better idea RB.....how about simply American. I don't refer to myself as Euro-American.

It all depends Tex. We might need to be more specific . I was once on a flight with two lady teachers from Canada . They asked me where I was from & I replied America . They laughed & said " so are we ".

Moliere writes:

So none of ya will stand up for ol'
dubya!

Texasczech63 writes:

in response to riceboal:

A "N" makes all the difference.

Lostintranslation writes:

in response to Texasczech63:

ABO12

Which explains the "czech" reference in your name??? :)

flamingo writes:

in response to Moliere:

I had to say it....but, you are wrong. Glenda is not married to Judge Fudge...LOL. Nice try though...hahahahaha...

flamingo writes:

in response to carp:

Oh my! Alot of heros have fought and died for that flag you hate so much.

I guess you can move to Iraq. Delta is ready when you are.

Hey...is Delta still in business?

Texasczech63 writes:

in response to Lostintranslation:

Which explains the "czech" reference in your name??? :)

Fathers side of my family came over in the 1680's with William Penn. Czech is for my grandfather on my mothers side. The 63 is reference to my Duntov GS Vette.

Is your handle for a Scarlett Johansson opening scene by any chance?

tiredofliberals writes:

Did you see where a white tourists was beat up and robbed by a group of blacks over the weekend for no reason? Where's the outrage? It's high time whites fight back. Quit giving to these charities that just help out black kids. Start with project back to school. Now that all the hispanics are white, we can join forces! I'm sick to death of this garbage, and these slime defending that thug Trevon!

bobert writes:

in response to Moliere:

So none of ya will stand up for ol'
dubya!

Moliere, you seem to be really in a tizzy about who Republicans will support in the upcoming election. As dumb as your suggestions for us to follow are (carry a template with motto-like wording saying we support the nominee which certainly appears to be Romney; declare almost daily we will support our nominee, etc., etc.) I am going to answer you so you can get some rest. You have been told any number of times that the support will go to any body but Obama (ABO). For whatever reason, that answer is not getting through to you. I wish to state it a bit differently. There are those that I would not support, should they somehow be Obama’s opponent. I would not vote for Hugo Chavez of Venezuela. I would not vote for Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran. I would not vote for Kim Jong II of North Korea. I would not vote for Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe. I would have to flip a coin on Fidel Castro. So, I can not truthfully say “Anybody but Obama”.

Before you make some foolish remark about the above not being able to become a candidate, I wish to remind you there is a very high percentage of US citizens that would argue that same thing as related to Obama for the same reasons.

Moliere, you are one hard dude to figure out. There are times when you are rational, coherent, polite, and seemingly able to understand that the subject under discussion is worthy of two separate opinions. Then, there are times when you are the complete opposite – irrational, raving incoherently, calling people vulgar names, rude, and of the opinion that no one should even think of being opposed to your views.

In my many years, I have only known two other individuals that acted in such a manner. Each of their problems was caused by one identical factor – far too much consumption of a substance that over time leads to an early demise. I pray that you are not a follower of that path. I am very sincere when I say this.

StoneDog writes:

in response to Trapper:

Congratulations, Trapper, for having shed your blood for that flag. I never have, and I never will. TC63's opinion is just as valid as is mine, yours, etc. I can accept varying opinions. Others, however, cannot. As for "love it or leave it"...how cliche.

Abram writes:

in response to Moliere:

So none of ya will stand up for ol'
dubya!

Ok,I'll stand up for G.W.Bush if thats what you want. I think he was delt a bad hand with the 9-11 happening so early in his presidency. It was bad that we went to war,but there were plenty of Demos that voted with the Repubs to go to war.
Now they never found any wmd's,but Saddam did use gas on the Kerds.
I know that things started looking bad at the end of Bush's second term because of the housing situation and several other things,but as soon as it looked like Obama was going to be elected,most people pulled out of the stock market not knowing what was to come with the new administration. Bush got blamed for everyone that lost their savings.
So every since Obama has been in office,he has blamed Bush for everything.
I will vote for Romeny if he gets enough votes to be the canidate. At least he is a business man and if he picks a smart bunch of people to be in his cabinet,I think he will do alright.
The statistics that were shown about the Presidents that had the best luck on employment were back when we had more companys operating in this country. The last few Presidents didn't fare as well since a lot of companys and businesses moved to China and Mexico.
I am no expert on any of this stuff,But I love our flag and love my country and will fight for it until the end and I am sure that each and everyone of you will too if it comes down to it.

Moliere writes:

in response to bobert:

Do you ever read Mark Levy's garbage? Your ramble above could be about him. Don't like my posts? Don't read 'em. Don't want me to expose your ignorance? Don't hit "post comment". Seems you have no criticism for Texas Check 'cause he represents your interests. Ever see anything in his posts that are, to quote, "irrational,raving incoherently, calling people vulgar names, rude, and so forth? You, sir, are another right wing hypocrite who can dish it out but cannot take it.

You made a point many months ago admonishing me for some play on your moniker in reference to a health condition your wife, bless her soul, was afflicted with. If this condition was of such a sensitive nature, then why did you mock it by making it a part of your post identity?

I read all of your posts. Sincerity is not a common theme.

Keep yer powder dry, bobert. Remember, this is for your "enrichment and entertainment."

LogicLover writes:

What happened to reporting things as they actually are instead of editing the truth to make it more interesting?
Religious fanatics support a flag and it's pledge as long as it only pushes what they believe in onto other people. This country is a great melting pot so why are people who don't believe in the same things as others treated without "justice and equality"?

It's ok for jesus freaks to pass Sharia laws but muslims can't? It's ok to oppress women with low pay, violent assaults (1 in 4 have been victimized), and denial of access to health care? 45,000 people die because they can't afford health care in this country every year. Americans going to foreign countries in order to have surgery done because they can't afford it here is increasing in billions of dollars.

I myself am fed up with the religious right wanting everything both ways. You can't deny women contraception and abortions then whine about taxes going up for welfare programs. If people keep saying "love it or leave it" you'll wake up to one of two things: 1.You will have a serious brain drain and a collapsing economy because Americans who are fed up with it will leave. 2.We end up with a country run by one extreme party or another.

If you allow anyone to vote your community won't be properly represented. We have to have ID to drive, have insurance, open a bank account, go to school, etc. If you are here illegally you are a criminal and should be deported. Other countries have very harsh punishments but if you try and punish an illegal immigrant or the scum who hired them over an American it's racism or the xenophobic label for you. It's okay for a church/synagogue/temple, etc. to harbor an illegal immigrant? No, they should be shut down and no religion or charity should be exempt from taxes period.

Americans used to focus on the things they had in common and fight for what is right and not what's popular according to one group. Now all we do is point out each others' differences and fight.

The numbers I got are from Fareed Zakaria's Overhauling Healthcare. It was on CNN and I can hear eye rolling but the expose shows different health systems around the world. They don't push one over another but compare/contrast to our collapsing system. It's sobering and if we need to arm ourselves with anything these days it's more information.

Texanforlife writes:

in response to StoneDog:

StoneDog if you guarantee never to come back I bet we could start a collection for a plane ticket to get your &*% out of here and never come back. We need to send you to one of those "good countries" they probably deserve you. How about Russia, Iran, North Korea, or I know send you to a country that has a leader that talks about America just like you do. Venzuela.

Features